Thursday, July 14, 2022

Through the Looking Glass

Crossing the threshold was rough, like jumping out of a fucking frying pan, right into a fire. I went from choking on smoke and feeling like I was having a heart attack, to suffocating and feeling like I was burning up. It felt rotten and wrong like the night Wolf died and the night she came back all over again, but worse. Suddenly, I realized that I was being held. Wolf told me to try to relax as my body “re-learned how to breathe”. Just as I was about to pass out, the stitches in my leg and hand started tingling. It spread through my whole body as the stitches did… whatever they did, causing the burning sensation to fade and finally letting me take in a deep breath. 

I’m okay now… I think. The sores are still there and itching but other than that I feel fine, or as close to it as I can get in this place.    

It’s… weird. 

It’s dark here and not normal dark either. I have to hold my phone close to my face in order to see the screen, because if I don’t, it completely disappears. It’s like the light just stops, as if there was a wall in front of it, but there isn’t one. It’s made typing this a pain in the ass. 

Sound is fucked here too. When we talk it sounds like our voices are going through an old radio. It all comes out fuzzy and muted, even though we’re right next to each other. Despite that, there are still “echoes”, but even they aren’t normal or consistent. Every now and then, we’ll hear our own voices, repeating something that was said hours or days or weeks ago. I’m only calling them “echoes” because that’s what Wolf assured me that they are, even though they don’t sound like it. They don’t have that same reverberation. They’re more like exact recordings being played right next to us. 

Wolf says it’s because we’re not supposed to be here. We “don’t make sense” in this place, so it’s trying to reject us. According to her, this world is broken, completely consumed by the thing that Father Brien’s cult tried to bring to ours. Its corpse is the only thing left here, and that’s what we’re looking for. Once we get to it, she will be able to “fix” this world. 

Speaking of which, it took a while to get used to walking here. I can’t feel anything under my feet, so I ended up stumbling a lot at first. I can feel my body’s movements, of course, but it’s like walking through air. Wolf wrapped a tendril around my waist before we crossed the threshold and she’s kept it there since, both to help me walk and to make sure we don’t get separated or “fall off” as she put it, whatever the hell that means. If it weren’t for that tendril and the hand I keep on her shoulder, I wouldn’t know that we were getting anywhere. If I stop “walking” I can feel her pulling away, so I know that some kind of forward motion is happening, at least. Wolf offered to carry me, but I don’t want to put extra strain on her while she’s focusing on following the “trail”. Besides, it gives me something of my own to focus on, which I really need here. It's a good distraction from the constant darkness. 

I haven’t felt tired or hungry or anything since I got here, but Wolf insists that we take occasional breaks. She also insists that I try to eat something or sleep during those breaks, even though I don’t feel like I need to. Aside from the distraction, I think she’s trying to make sure I have something normal to hang onto in all of this. I’m sure it helps her too, so I’m not going to argue. I just hope we get where we're going soon. 

10 comments:

  1. How disgustingly symbolic, while I'm over here trying to destroy worlds (so to speak) she's over there reviving them, I don't think I like that, but considering the fact that it's being done as means of survival rather than some altruistic motivation, I'm not too irked about it.

    So Harty, enjoyed your run in with Outbreak? I can relate to your plight considering my own body has been deteriorating this entire time at an alarmingly quick pace, shit fucking sucks.

    Hey Harty, did you notice something? The Wolf has become far less talkative, I mean I get it, with the type of shit you guys been through in recent weeks, she's too busy. But surely I'm not the only one who has noticed the absence of the playful attitude she would show off from time to time. Do you think she's slowly drowning in her own stomach, slowly becoming a reflection of the world you are currently in?

    Is it really that much of a good idea for her to make contact with Father Brien's old pet project?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Kelevra, no I did not. Like I said, the sores are itchy as hell, but that's it. They don't seem to be getting any worse, and I haven't noticed any other symptoms. With all the shit you've pulled, along with whatever part you might have played in Outbreak coming after us I'm very fucking glad to know that you're rotting away

      Nice try, dude, but you're not going to make me paranoid. She's been quiet because she's been trying to focus on navigating this fucked up place, and, believe it or not, that takes priority over your bullshit.

      Delete
    2. Indeed, my focus has been on keeping Hart and myself safe and on track, so you will have to forgive my lack of banter.

      Am I "drowning in my stomach"? No. While I temporarily let my emotions take control with that community, it was still very much my own doing and I have since pulled myself together. I am thoroughly done with servitude, whether it be to Ritter, the Plague Doctor, or the remains of a "god". That is a path that I will never travel again.

      Heh... You don't like my little plan? Good.
      Survival aside, I am still an artist at heart, dear, and what is an artist but one who creates, whether the medium is yarn, pencils, agony, flesh or an entire world?

      Delete
    3. @Hart: Ohoho scathing, so hurtful Harty. Enjoy the itchiness, I have a feeling that Outbreak is far from being done with you lot and if you stay around Knitty any longer, you'll be rotting away in a much similar manner, if not worse.

      @Knitty: I'm glad to hear! And why not? Build your worlds, cover them in as many children's guts as you possibly can! I'm sure Harty would just love that. I'll be sure to clean it all up afterwards, don't you worry.

      Delete
    4. Sure, maybe we'll have to deal with that thing again, but while we're in here, I'm not worried.

      Delete
    5. How kind of you to offer your help, Kelevra, but I've had my fill of killing children. Besides, Their entrails would likely make for poor decorations. Yours, on the other hand, would do just fine.

      Let me ask you this, dear: if I can revive a dead world, who's to say that I am the only one? Who's to say that there isn't someone or something out there, capable of surviving and working with even less than what I have here.

      Imagine "succeeding" with your goal, only for someone like me to come along and undo it all. That would be hilarious.

      Delete
  2. While I have the chance, I'll also wish you and Fell some luck, caught in my own type of fucky shit over here.

    That's pretty much it dude, you know the rest of my thoughts, should of grabbed your shit and ran.

    Doesn't matter now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what to tell you, man. I'm doing what I think is best, but thanks. Good luck to you too

      Delete
  3. That's fucked up... Please be safe..

    Wolf, if you're reading this, I'm gonna say this again, you better not let anything fucking happen to him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll manage. You just focus on taking care of yourself

      Delete