Thursday, November 15, 2018

My favorite time of year has come and gone again.


I never thought I would see another Halloween so of course I could not let it slip past without celebrating. 

Locating the appropriate keys, we took one of the cars that Osprey’s little flock had left behind and drove until we reached the nearest town. It was late enough in the evening that the local children had finished making their annual rounds and were likely enjoying the sugary spoils of their trick or treating at home. The thought made me smile as we drove past the decorated homes with their glowing jack-o-lanterns. Eventually we pulled over at a little bar that seemed to be taking part in the holiday, despite its unfortunate mid-week timing. Venturing inside, we were greeted by the sight of costumed patrons and the sound of someone’s karaoke rendition of “People are Strange”. Ordering some drinks, we settled at an empty table; receiving compliments on our “costumes” as we did so.  

It was a small celebration, but it was enough. My eyes went from the cheap decorations (spider webs, plastic spiders and “Happy Halloween” banners) to the costumes people were wearing, and I felt happy. As I have said before, it was not my choice or wish to return, but sitting there with Fell and Hart, celebrating this holiday… well… I was glad to be there. I reached out and pulled them both into a hug as silly, sentimental, joyful tears welled in my eyes. After a moment of surprise, they returned the embrace. If anyone took notice, they probably thought we were drunk.

Eventually we made our way back and spent the rest of the night watching classic Halloween specials. I couldn’t ask for more.

Other than that night of celebration, we have not been idle. Fell and Hart have been working hard to adjust to and compensate for the injuries Osprey dealt them. Their efforts show in their dramatic improvement. As for me, I have been continuing to test myself; to learn more about my abilities and limitations. Been noting the abilities of certain others, as well. That last post was quite informative, Calavera.


There is one other thing…

A curious thing in the room of my rebirth. I can feel it, like a draft under a door…  Like a crack in a wall… A half-closed wound. Wonder what would happen if I were to pry it open 

Hmm...

9 comments:

  1. Glad to see you enjoyed your new, last, Halloween. The first Whelp will be unable to see. The price was worth it, huh? Good to know that the poor little puppy died for a worthwhile cause.

    Honestly, I doubt Kelly's post revealed much of anything terribly useful for you. About me, or him. I mean, he is REALLY just a one trick pony, isn't he? Stabby-Sleeves until his girlfriend decides to come to his rescue. As for me? Well... You haven't seen ANYTHING yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Again, it was not my choice or wish to return or to kill her. The one responsible for that has paid dearly for his actions, and will continue to suffer.

      My new last Halloween? Heh, we'll see

      Perhaps it didn't reveal much, but some information is better than none.

      Heh... It is quite amusing to hear you speak so dismissively about someone who bested you in a fight.

      Delete
    2. HA. "Fight." Is that what you think that was? Heheheh. I cannot wait to find out what you think an ACTUAL fight qualifies as.

      My personal prediction is "A slaughter." But that might be a bit generous.

      Delete
    3. Heh call it what you wish, Scratch, you were still the one to be ejected from the building.

      Delete
    4. Yep. And it was a fun fall, all things considered. But the game was over at that point anyway. Found out all I needed about Kelly's condition.

      Delete
  2. I miss being able to celebrate Halloween, but it is nice to see decorations and people in costume at least.

    You combing over their posts too? We should compare notes some time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually did something Halloween related too, while licking up my wounds. I finally checked out the music of Alice Cooper, I want that man to perform as I cause non-existence.

    Taking notes, yeah? Good, I want a challenge when we meet and don't listen to Scratch up there, he's just butt hurt my darling kicked him out the window.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! Excellent! His music is wonderful and I am glad that you got the chance to hear it.

      Indeed I am. Don't worry dear, a challenge is exactly what you will get. This will be thrilling.
      Heh... he does seem a bit salty, doesn't he?

      Delete