Thursday, November 24, 2022

Here

When we first crossed into this place, Wolf offered to carry me. After my breakdown, she insisted on it.

I told her the same thing I said to her before, that I didn’t want to be a burden. She said that, while this has been difficult for both of us, it was clearly affecting me more that her.

“Besides, you carried me part way to the threshold,” she said. “With Outbreak shutting down my lungs, I wouldn’t have made it there on my own, so I think it’s only fair that I carry you for the last bit of the journey.” 

Reluctantly, I let her do it. Being held like that was strangely comforting. The physical contact of her arms was another reassurance that made it easier to cope with the sound coming from that thing. I’m not sure how long she walked before suddenly coming to a stop. Drawing in a sharp breath, she spoke 

“We’re here.”

I’m writing this while I’m waiting for her to finish… whatever the hell she’s doing. I’m still tethered to her by that tendril, of course, so I can feel that she’s moved upwards. So far, I’ve heard a few thuds followed by cracking noises, and then tearing, like meat being pulled from a bone. Is she… eating it? At least the thing has shut up.

I wound up getting curious at one point, so I slowly reached out, only to feel something very sharp.  

“Don’t touch it” she said, probably feeling the movement as I drew back in shock. “Don’t try to look at it either.” Her voice sounded strange… sort of syrupy, yet it was clearer than it had been throughout this whole thing.

“Why not?” I asked, thinking back to Father Brien’s ritual “It’s not like I haven’t seen it before”

“What you saw was only a half-manifested part of it. I’m not sure what the sight of its true form would do to your mind at the best of times, let alone after the strain of getting here.”

“Oh… Okay then…” 

I'm sure she's right that I'm better off not seeing it, but I can't shake the nagging curiosity. I'm trying to ignore it though. That's partly why I decided to start typing this up. I just need to be patient for a little while longer.

2 comments:

  1. Now you know how it feels Harty, imagine living with that feeling every day, having the need to peer into something that you know will destroy you just from mere sight of it and yet curiosity still tugging away at you.

    This is what I live with every single day due to my darling's nature.

    Careful, don't want you ending up brain dead, who else would keep updating this blog with you gone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I guess you have more will power than I do...

      Delete